(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Children's Library | Additional Collections

Full text of "No Title"

To:
"Ray Tomlinson" <tomlinso@diamond.bbn.com>
Wed, 7 Oct 92 16:12:00 EDT
Re: first email
dcrocker@mordor. stanford.edu
tomlinson@bbn.com
X-BBN-Encoded-Multimedia;1.0
Hi Dave,
Yes it has been a while...
To the best of my knowledge, I sent the first EMAIL via ArpaNet to myself using a very
early version of SNDMSG which I had modified to recognize non-local recipients and
append to the remote user's mailbox using the CPYNET protocol. I'm not real sure of the
names of things. SNDMSG and CPYNET may or may not be right. What I know,is that I
modified the existing program we used to send messages locally. I wrote the CPYNET
server and client almost as soon as I had the network code running on TENEX. CPYNET
provided a minimum file-transfer capability allowing files to be read, written, or appended
to. The latter was used for EMAIL; just append more stuff to the user's mailbox.
Ray